Sen. Brian Hatfield joined hundreds of legislators, staffers and lobbyists for Beef Day 2012. The annual event, put on by the Washington Cattlemen’s Association, features BBQ tri-tip beef sandwiches and the chance to learn about Washington’s cattle industry.
Beef Day Cattle Facts
· There are over 1.1 million cows in Washington state.
· The cattle industry is responsible for over $600 million in annual income for Washington.
· Nearly 20,000 ranchers, both in the beef and dairy industry, make up Washington’s cattle workforce.
· Exports of beef to other countries totaled over $100 million.
· Over 800 million pounds of beef will be produced in Washington in 2012.